MK I
MK I

After the realization that this was possible, my curiosity and drive increased about ten fold.
I started scheming and hypothesizing about how to best fit armor over myself, trying to anticipate all problems beforehand. Not worrying about if whatever ended up on the paper looked completely impossible.. which it often did.

After I thought about it enough, I got some sheet metal, sat down with a pair of heavy duty shears, a hammer, and a very cheap power drill.. and got to work.
I tried not to worry about what the end product would look like. The way I saw it, I had already built the damn thing in my head, I was just along for the ride now.. In a way, I let my subconscious self (which had been mulling this over 24/7 more efficiently that my conscious self ever could) take the wheel.
I did however intentionally try to echo a certain Iron Man in the faceplate. =)
Oh and by the way, this is circa 2006 here folks. So no, I wasn’t inspired by the movie.

The main point of this suit was not for protection or function. It was simply to see if I could build a full body suit that I could wear comfortably and walk around in, without the constant desire to take it off.
It was my 3D doodle of things to come.
The main thing that bothered me was that I had to take time to put it on.
If I was going to build these suits for people like rescue workers, I needed to find a much faster way to put it on.
Cue MKII!!